Clubs hit Playoffs as Leagues go down to the wire
Minas Tenis Clube wrapped up the Regular Season in Brazil's Superleague top of the table and enter the Playoffs in pole position.
With 13 points from Bruna Honorio plus 11 more from Gabi Guimaraes and 10 from Natalia Pereira, Itambe / Minas Tenis Clube wrapped up the Regular Season in Brazil's Women's Superleague in first place after a 3-0 (25-21, 25-10, 25-16) on the road over Curitiba Volei.
Starting the Playoffs tomorrow in pole position, Minas Tenis Clube meet Curutiba again in the best-of-three quarterfinals, which also feature Dentil / Praia Clube of Uberlandia v. Fluminense of Rio de Janeiro, Hinonde Barueri v. Osasco / Audax and Sesc Rio de Janeiro v Sesi Volei Bauru.
• Elsewhere, The Playoffs have begun in Turkey's Women's Superleague, with the favourites all emerging victorious in the first of the four best-of-three quarterfinals. Kubra Akman and Ebrar Karakurt shared top scoring honours with 12 points each and China's Zhu Ting added 11 more in VakifBank Istanbul's 3-0 (25-18, 25-20, 26-24) over Nilufer Beleidyespor.
• Meanwhile, Cuba's Melissa Vargas with 18 points led Fenerbahce Opet to a 3-0 (25-20, 25-16, 28-26) sweep of Turk Hava Yollari and Hande Baladin starred in Galatasaray's win over Besiktas 3-1 (22-25, 25-15, 25-15, 27-25) with 23 points. Regular Season leaders Eczacibasi VitrA Istanbul don't play until 28 March, when they face Kameroglu.
• However, Eczacibasi had started their European Champions League quarterfinals campaign with a convincing 3-0 (25-21, 27-25, 25-22) sweep of Italy's Imoco Volley Conegliano on the road midweek, with Serbia's Tijana Boskovic socring 25 points and Korea's Kim Yoen-Koung adding 14.
• In other Champions League action midweek, Nataliya Goncharova scored 26 points and Irina Fetisova another 19 as Dinamo Moscow narrowly defeated VakifBank 3-2 (20-25, 25-23, 25-23, 21-25, 15-13), despite 26 points from the Netherland's Lonneke Sloetjes and 24 from Zhu.
• Led by Paola Egonu's 33 points Igor Gorgonzola Novara beat Allianz MTV Stuttgart 3-1 (25-19, 26-24, 19-25, 25-20) in Germany, and Fenerbahce downed Savino del Bene Scandicci 3-1 (25-19, 23-25, 25-19, 25-21) in Italy with 21 points each from Vargas and Mexico's Samantha Bricio to wrap up the European Champions League action.
Quick links - Volleyball:
FIVB.com - Volleyball
22/07/2019National Federations confirm participation in Beach Volleyball Tokyo Qualification Tournament
22/07/2019World Championships inspire beach volleyball players to protect the oceans
22/07/2019Tokyo Olympic dress rehearsal next
22/07/2019Humana-Paredes & Pavan claim home gold in Edmonton
22/07/2019Beeler & Krattiger win first Swiss gold in 13 years
21/07/2019Espinho gold for Alison & Alvaro Filho; Plavins steals the hearts
21/07/2019Americans Day & Flint avenge Sydney setback in Edmonton
21/07/2019Beeler & Krattiger advance to Edmonton finals