Russia set scoring record as World Championship pools take shape
Dmitriy Muserskiy and Maxim Mikhaylov block Tunisia's Saddem Hmissi as Russia set a new all-time scoring record at the 2018 FIVB World Championship.
Russia's 25-6 second set over Tunisia in Bari breaks the all-time lowest-scoring record. This was held by USA with 25-8 over Puerto Rico in their 3-0 win in Krakow in 2014.
Bulgaria's Nikolay Uchikov gets the ball through the gap between the antenna and the block of Puerto Rico's Pablo Guzman, Friday in Varna.
Other Friday highlights:
• Slovenia downed Japan 3-1 to remain undefeated and join Italy on 2-0 records at the top of the Pool A standings in Florence.
• France bounced back from their dramatic five-set defeat to Brazil on Thursday with a 3-0 sweep of Egypt as coach Laurent Tillie rested some key players; Canada and Brazil, who did not play today, remain undefeated in Pool B in Ruse.
• Russia thundered past Tunisia Friday in Bari to extend their record in Pool C to 2-0 (alongside USA who rested today).
• Also in Bari, Australia came back from a set down to beat Cameroon in four and gain a huge advantage in the race for a ticket to the next round.
• Co-hosts Bulgaria recovered quickly from their defeat on Thursday to Iran, beating Puerto Rico 3-0 in Varna; Poland and Iran, who return to action tomorrow, are undefeated at the top of the standings in Pool D.
• Despite having missed the opening match against Russia (save for briefly in the third set), Australia's Lincoln Alexander Williams is now the top scorer of the World Championship after scoring 22 against Cameroon today to reach a total of 43.
David Patrick Feughouo of Cameroon gets past the Australian block of Beau Graham and Harrison Peacock, Friday in Bari.
• Japan - Slovenia 1-3
• Argentina - Dominican Republic 3-0
• China - The Netehrlands 1-3
• France - Egypt 3-0
• Australia - Cameroon 3-1
• Russia - Tunisia 3-0
• Finland - Cuba 3-1
• Bulgaria - Puerto 3-0
Klemen Cebulj of Slovenia beats Japan's Yuji Nishida on the net, Friday in Florence.
Play continues on Saturday, September 15 in Florence, Ruse, Bari and Varna with eight more 1st Round pool play matches:
Match Centres for Saturday 15 September:
• Belgium v Slovenia in Florence (Pool A) at 17:00 local time (15:00 GMT)
• Italy v Argentina in Florence (Pool A) at 21:15 local time (19:15 GMT)
• Canada v China in Ruse (Pool B) at 17:00 local time (14:00 GMT)
• The Netherlands v Brazil in Ruse (Pool B) at 20:30 local time (17:30 GMT)
• Serbia v Tunisia in Bari (Pool C) at 17:00 local time (15:00 GMT)
• USA v Russia in Bari (Pool C) at 20:30 local time (18:30 GMT)
• Cuba v Iran in Varna (Pool D) at 17:00 local time (14:00 GMT)
• Poland v Finland in Varna (Pool D) at 20:30 local time (17:30 GMT)
Argentina's Facundo Conte tries to overcome the triple block of the Dominican Republic's Bayron Valdez, Richi Paulino and Francisco Abreu, as the South Americans score their first win, Friday in Florence.
Quick links - Volleyball:
FIVB Volleyball Men's World Championship Italy-Bulgaria 2018
Results and ranking
25/09/2018Coaches agree: The best teams are in the World Championship Final Six
24/09/2018Draw maps out third round of Men's World Championship
23/09/2018Russia, Poland complete World Championship final six line-up
22/09/2018USA, Brazil, Serbia, Italy snatch spots in World Championship final six
21/09/2018Thrilling five-setters in Varna highlight start of World Championship’s second round
21/09/2018Schedule set for Round 2 of Men's World Championship as fans expect new thrills
20/09/20182018-2019 FIVB Beach Volleyball Calendar outlines beginning of journey to Tokyo Olympics
19/09/2018FIVB President joins Bulgarian Minister of Youth and Sports as the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship heats up