The mighty fall, as VNL opening delivers stunners
The Netherlands have taken an early lead in the standings of the inaugural 2018 FIVB Volleyball Nations League after the opening week.
The opening week produced some stunning results across the four pools, as coaches across the board experimented wildly with their lineups and gave fans around the world the chance to see a few new faces alongside some trusty old guard.
Serbia's Jovana Stevanovic: Ten blocks in three sets against Germany
Here's the highlights of the opening weekend:
- - Germany's win over South American powerhouse Brazil for the first time in 16 years.
- Turkey's win over reigning world champions USA for the first time in four years.
- Korea's win over reigning Olympic champions and world number one China for the first time in eight years.
- Serbia's 22 blocks in three sets over Germany (10 by Jovana Stevanovic alone).
- Brazil's 22 blocks in four sets over Japan (9 by Adenizia 'Ade' da Silva alone).
- That's a total of 16 stuffs through the week for Stevanovic and a combined 29 for Brazil from Ade (15) and Ana Beatriz 'Bia' Correa (14).
- The Dominican Republic's Brayelin Martinez making the 'over 30 club' with 31 points scored against Korea.
- Poland's Malwina Smarzek taking the lead in the scorers table with 65 points in three matches - just three ahead of Russia's Kseniia Parubets and five ahead of Korea's Kim Yeon Koung.
Quick links: FIVB Volleyball Nations League
22/03/2019Alexandre Ferreira: Enjoy VNL and try to raise our level
22/03/2019The FIVB and Good Net Project support World Water Day
22/03/2019Giba: I saw how amazing snow volleyball is
20/03/2019Rome announced as host of 2021 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships
19/03/2019Snow volleyball: from small beginnings to global growth
19/03/2019Snow Volleyball site launched ahead of World Tour
18/03/2019Hamburg ready to host an amazing 2019 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships
18/03/2019Clubs hit Playoffs as Leagues go down to the wire