Stephen Bock was recently appointed for this prestigious role
The FIVB Head of Legal and General Counsel, Stephen Bock, has been announced by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) as an Independent Observer (IO) team member for the Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022 which will take place from 4 to 20 February 2022.
WADA’s IO programme has been running since the Olympic Games Sydney 2000 and has included more than 50 major events during that time. It is an important element of WADA’s compliance monitoring of major event organisations as the teams provide an independent review of all aspects of the anti-doping programmes delivered at major events, including the Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Talking about the appointment, Stephen Bock said:
“It is a great honour for me to be appointed by WADA to the Independent Observer team. This appointment is a testament to the strong legal practices we implement at the FIVB in regard to various areas, including anti-doping, under the leadership of FIVB President Dr Ary S. Graça F°. I am delighted to be part of the team that will contribute to improvement of anti-doping practices for the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 and future editions of the Olympic Games through the Independent Observer observations and its report.”
During the Games, IO team members will visit various event venues to observe how the anti-doping programme is being implemented, from test distribution planning to how samples are collected, stored and delivered for analysis and so forth. The group will meet daily to go through their reports and flag any issues or potential improvement points.
The full composition of the IO team for the Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022 is as follows:
· Hitesh Patel (United Kingdom), Head of Music, Publishing and Copyright, Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, UK Government; and Rapporteur to the UNESCO International Convention against Doping in Sport (Chair)
· Karine Henrie (Canada), Deputy Director, Testing, WADA (Vice-Chair)
· Stephen Bock (USA), Head of Legal and General Counsel, International Volleyball Federation (FIVB)
· Thierry Boghosian (USA), Senior Manager, Laboratory Accreditation, WADA
· Ying Cui (Canada), Manager, NADO/RADO Relations, WADA
· Chika Hirai (Japan), General Manager, International Relations, Japan Anti-Doping Agency (JADA)
· Vinicius Sardela (Brazil), Manager, Laboratory Operations, WADA
· Dr. Yuhan Tan (Belgium), Medical Doctor, Member of WADA Athlete Committee, Former international badminton player
· Alexis Webber (Switzerland), Head of Anti-Doping, International Football Federation (FIFA)